With improvements to the Console’s Content Management and Alerts section, faster Google app updates, and a new feature for selecting device language, Esper releases DevRel 65. Here’s what’s new:
- Added device language setting for a template
- Added new screen time-out options
- Faster update of Google applications
- Ability to push a file to multiple SD cards at the same time
Added Device Language Setting for a Template
We have added a new setting, ‘Device Language’ while creating or editing a template, but it will be implemented only when using the 6-Tap QR Code method or the Android for Work (AfW) method. As of now, the user cannot set the device language post-provisioning.
Note: This language setting will not be applied when provisioning the device using the device provisioner or seamless provisioning.
Added New Screen Time-out Options
We have added 60 minutes (1 hour) and 120 minutes (2 hours) as 2 new drop-down options for screen time-out.
Selecting screen timeout value is available while creating or editing a template or through Devices & Groups. The maximum timeout value is OEM-specific. Esper will override the value set by the OEM.
Faster Update of Google Applications
We have set the ‘AutoUpdateMode’ as High Priority for the Google application. Now, if the user’s Google application is installed on the device and is available as per Device Policy, it would be forced to update if an update for that application is available on the Play Store. However, if an app is removed from the Device’s policy, this device will no longer receive updates for that app.
Note: This does not apply to preloaded apps.
Ability to Push a File to Multiple SD Cards at the Same Time
Earlier, Admins couldn’t push a file to multiple SD cards at the same time. Now, Admins can use the scheme format (scheme: path) to accomplish this task. The scheme will be common to all devices.
Eg: internal://download/Esper/Notes where the scheme internal translates to: /storage/emulated/0.
Esper is introducing the following 6 schemes:
- internal- Translates to: /storage/emulated/0
- external- Translates to: /storage/SD_card ID
- forced_internal- Translates to: /storage/emulated/0
- forced_external- Translates to: /storage/SD_card ID
- esper_internal- Translates to: /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/io.shoonya.shoonyadpc/files
- esper_external- Translates to: /storage/SD_card ID/Android/data/io.shoonya.shoonyadpc/files
Please contact Esper to know more about this feature.
- Now the tags per device limit has increased from three to five.
- Previously, if the device was in kiosk mode and factory reset failed, it couldn’t be recovered. So now, we clear the kiosk mode and move the device to multi-app mode. Esper will remove the factory reset protection and enable Android settings with which users can factory reset the device.
Also, if the site admin wants to reactivate these devices, they can use an API to reactivate 20 devices in one command.
And that’s it for DevRel 65. Esper’s team is working to deliver another batch of exciting features and improvements in DevRel 66 and beyond. It is scheduled for the end of August 2021. Please reach out to share your thoughts on how Esper can improve your customer experience in future releases.